Guinea Pigs/lonely guinea pig

Question
Hi there,

5 days ago one of the two family guinea pigs passed away and i'm now worried about Cookie, the guinea pig left behind. She seems to be eating/drinking as normal, she has been bought new toys (including a soft toy) and get's more attention. However, as everyone at one works I am worried if this is 1) just a front when we are all at home and 2) how lonely does she get. I've heard Guinea pigs hide illness until it is too late a majority of the time and i'm worried that if the normality she is showing in front us doesn't happen when we are work that she might become really unwell due to lonliness. The last thing I want is to not be able to spot any of this.

After caring for guinea pigs for so long, my mum wants to take a break and not get stuck in a cycle so another guinea pig is not an option.

Is there any advice you can give me on how to spot any illness, and making sure she isn't lonely so this can be prevented?

Thank you so much for your help

Sian x

Answer
I'm sorry to hear you lost Cookie's cage mate. It's always hard when we lose a pet, even when another is left behind.

Although guinea pigs are herding animals and enjoy having other pigs around, they can, just like pack animals such as dogs, be happy by themselves. Yes, guinea pigs cover illness well but it is not likely Cookie will become ill over the loss of her friend.

You're doing all you can to make up for her loss, but don't worry that she will grieve herself sick. Animals do feel loss of their friends. But unlike humans, they learn to cope much more quickly than we do. They do not take the time to feel sorry for themselves. They simply adjust and move on.

I understand your concern for her well being, but I also understand your mum's wish to have a break for awhile.  Perhaps you can wait for a time and see how Cookie gets along. If she shows any sign of being lonely perhaps mum will compromise and you can renegotiate the issue. But please don't worry that Cookie will not be well without a friend.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen