Guinea Pigs/my guinea pig

Question
hi i'm cassidy,

my guinea pigs name is rex he is 11 months old and is loosing patches of fur behind his ears i'm a new guinea pig owner i've had him since he was 3 months old

sincerly,
   cassidy

Answer
This is a common concern with owners and is easily answered.

All guinea pigs have a bald spot just behind their ears. In most cases the owners haven't noticed it and when they do they are alarmed. However, this is normal.

In short haired pigs it is more noticeable. When placing a pig with a new owner I show them this spot. I explain that I think that spot is there because when you're holding your pig up on your shoulder it is the perfect warm place to plant a kiss.

This is only theory as to why the bald spot is there, but it's a better explanation that just saying it's supposed to be there.

It's very warm to touch because a guinea pig's normal temperature is much higher than humans. If you are able, please take a picture of these spots and send them to me. It's very unlikely that it's anything but the normal hair pattern on all pigs.

You can rest easy and know that there is nothing wrong with your pig. In case you're still unsure, there are pictures on google that can show you what they look like.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen