Guinea Pigs/Guinea not doing well

Question
QUESTION: My guinea pig Rocky was laying on top of his dome and then is just laying around his cage, starting yesterday morning. Today he is not eating his usual carots that he loves and squeaks for everyday and now has whitish discharge coming out of his eyes.  I have an appt tonight to see the vet but was wondering if he will be OK?

ANSWER: You don't say how old Rocky is so it's difficult to guess whether this is age related to an illness of some sort.

That milky discharge is a sign of stress, not infection. That isn't to say he's not ill, just that the discharge is not related to his loss of appetite and lethargy.

I don't know what part of Calif you are from, but it's been very hot there and this could be heat related. Guinea pigs can handle cold, but they don't do well in heat. They become heat stroked very quickly. If the area he is in is very warm you can put a fan in front of his cage and keep it on. Not too close. Four or five feet away is fine. He just needs air movement to help cool him.

Another trick we've used for years is frozen water bottles. Fill the drinking water bottles with tap water after you're done with them. Keep some in the freezer so on hot days you can put the bottle in the cage and he will run right to it to lie next to it. Some of my pigs will lay across the bottles like they're cooling their bellies. These are life saving techniques on hot days.

Keep your appt with the vet. Hopefully he'll be able to find the problem. I wish I had more to offer, but with so little information I'm at a disadvantage. Please let me know what the vet says.

QUESTION: We live by the beach in Ventura.  Heat is not really a factor.  Rocky is about three years old.  I also found a white mucus thing in his cage and his urine is discolored now. We are taking him at 6:30 to the vet.

ANSWER: I know your area well and you're right, heat is not an issue. At three he is still not yet an 'old pig'. As for the mucus thing I would have to see a picture of it to know what it may be. Please let me know what your vet says.

QUESTION: Unfortunately, our beloved Rocky passed last night. :(

Answer
Oh Denise, I'm so very sorry. The hardest thing abouth these little guys is that they don't show us there is a problem until it's too late.  

If you're interested in getting another I would be happy to give you some names of breeders in the Ventura/Camarillo area. There are also guinea pig shows periodically at the Ventura Fairgrounds and there are always pigs for sale of all breeds and colors. When you are ready you might want to check it out.

Let me know if you think you'd like another and I will private message you with some names.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen