Guinea Pigs/guinea pig

Question
I bought a male guinea pig yesterday and when I hold him he stays in my hands but he doesn't squeak  and when I put him in his cage he goes under his little plastic hideaway.  I never see him come out of his little hide away thing and I'm not sure he's eating or drinking. He is 5 to 6 weeks old and I bought him timothy hay and wild harvest guinea pig advanced nutrition diet it said on  bag with fruits vegetables seed and grains.  Is this food okay since he's 5 to 6 weeks old and I bought the little pieces of wood for him to chew on.

Answer
At five to six weeks he's still a young baby and hasn't been away from his mom for very long. Most babies are weaned at about 4 weeks.  He's doing just what I would expect him to do at this point.  He's getting used to his new surroundings and is naturally shy and skittish. That will change in time.

I usually recommend that the first week be one of total quiet for a new pig. Don't try to handle him, just give him time to smell the new surroundings and get used to the noises of his new home.  After that you can begin to take him out and hold him.

When they are very small you have to be careful that he doesn't leap right out of your arms. They can be very fast and move without notice. Be patient. He will learn that you are the food lady and the one he will recognize first.

As for the food he's eating, I am not in favor of those pellets with seeds and other goodies in them. The best food is the alfalfa pellets that have nothing else added. Most of the colored pieces that are added by manufacturers are just eye candy for the owners and don't really have a great deal of nutrition in them.

He will enjoy having a small piece of carrot of lettuce and it's fine to offer that every day or so. But remember, he is a baby.  He's not ready to eat a lot of different fruits and veggies just yet. His little tummy is not able to digest too much in the way of goodies.  His main diet should be guinea pig pellets.

Although rabbit food is less expensive it isn't the same as guinea pig food. Many rabbit foods have added antibiotics and should not be given to your pig. Rabbits manufacturer their own Vitamin C, guinea pigs do not. That's why it's added in the guinea pig pellets.

However, Vit C loses it's strength quickly so it's not wise to buy a large bag of feed that you can't use up within a month. If you want to purchase a large bag you can keep it in a plastic container and that will help keep it fresh.

Parsley is the best source of Vit C.  Just a small amount every day or so will benefit him to keep his growth healthy and prevent Vit C deficiency. Go slow about offering new foods. Remember he's very young and isn't used to too many things. So don't get anxious and push foods he isn't ready to eat yet.

Guinea pigs have to chew on something in order to keep their teeth worn. Their teeth never stop growing. A chunk of wood is a good chew toy. Hay is also excellent for that.

You've got a good start and he should grow quickly. Give him time to settle in and don't expect too much just yet. When you do hold him you might want to put a towel on your lap because being a baby he will wet on you when he needs to go.

Enjoy your new pet. He will be a good companion and give you many hours of enjoyment.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen