Guinea Pigs/Loss Our Piggie

Question
Our dear piggie passed away suddenly. We had only had her for 2 years. We don't know how old she was but we know she wasn't a baby when we got her. She didn't seem sick and her death was so sudden. Our 10 year-old is heartbroken and we don't know what to tell her besides "it was just her time" and reminding her that it's good that she didn't seem to be in pain and didn't suffer.

Up until the day before she died, our piggie seemed healthy and active. She had a good appetite and looked healthy as far as we could tell. A day or so before she died, she seemed a bit lethargic and spent most of the day dozing in her pigloo but she was still eating and seemed OK when she was awake. I wasn't worried until the night before when she was not interested in her usual nightly carrot, but she still seemed basically OK. I thought that I would keep an eye on her and call the vet if she didn't perk up in a day or two. In retrospect, we do think that she had seemed a little less active for the past few weeks, but since her appetite was good and she didn't look sick (shiny coat, bright eyes, etc.) we didn't think it was anything to worry about.

She did have a health scare last winter. We noticed that she had several bald patches an when we took her vet, they said that she had cysts that were causing a hormone imbalance. We had her spayed in January and after she recovered from that, she was fine. Do you think that it might be related? That's the only thing I can think of to explain her sudden death.

This has been really hard on us and having some explanation beyond "it was just her time" would help. I realize that you probably can't make a diagnosis, but I'm hoping that maybe you have some ideas.

Thank you in advance.

Answer
I would love to be able to give you a solid answer, but there never really is one. I doubt her death had anything to do with her surgery last winter. Not knowing what her age was makes it difficult, but I can tell you that the average life span for a guinea pig is only about four to five years. That's not very long at all. There are exceptions of course, but they are unusual exceptions.

When their time comes they don't show us until it's too late. If there's any consolation in knowing she went quietly and quickly you can be assured that she didn't suffer.  I don't know if you've ever read the story of the Rainbow Bridge, but it's helped many of us through the years when we've lost a beloved pet.  Maybe this might help ease your daughter's pain. Assure her she did nothing wrong, this is just the way nature works. But when you're a child it's more painful.

God Bless your family. I know how hard these things can be to try to explain.

The Rainbow Bridge

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross overů together.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen