Guinea Pigs/Guinea Pig Won't eat

I recently took my guinea pig to the Vet due to him not eating and loosing weight. This being said the vet which specializes in exotic pets such as rabbits and guinea pigs said he was fine. She checked him from head to toe. She even checked his teeth and removed an cyst he had towards his right back leg. She also took X-Rays and told me everything was ok that he was fine. Yet he still wont eat. He tries to but is as if he somehow forgot how to chew his food and when he tries this weird sound as if he had tons of saliva sloshing inside his mouth. I'm super worried that he is going to die on me. Is there anything I can do. Even the critical care food the vet gave me he wont always eat only sometimes.

It's difficult to say because your vet has just checked him and presumably ruled out a tooth abcsess or malformed tooth that is preventing him from chewing correct!y.  I would suggest minf the critical care in enough liquid to lut it in her water bottle. That way she will get the nutrients she needs to sustain her and prevent further weight loss. I've also used baby formula(the soy based type) and offered it in the water bottle. Keep the fresh water a?so available as they need the hydration.

I would ask the vet to double check the mouth for signs of a malocclusion in  the rear teeth. Without the ability to bring their food that poor pig may slowly starve to death. Please keep me posted.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.