Guinea Pigs/Killer Cavy

Hi :)
My neighbour came over earlier and told us that two of her pigs had been killed by the one left in the cage.
Pig 1) Fur completely stripped one side of her body and flattened (as if she had been jumping on the body)

Pig 2) I think stripped of fur as well. One side of her face was completely missing. My dad came back and said "you cant even tell which side is which anymore"

As far as I'm aware there are no injuries on the pig that's done this. I feel there probably is as the 2 of them wouldn't of gone down without a fight.

My friend told me she had noticed her barbering the two of them before Christmas. It wasn't very bad as ne of my previous pigs had barbered so much worse than what was on these two.
The "Killer Pig" had been bloated up and separated 3 almost 4 weeks before hand. The bloating was from brussels sprouts, all of them had a small amount of bloating but she was.. id say possibly 3x the size she is normally.

I know quite a lot of stuff but I have never heard of something like this happening. I've heard they cannibalise their pups but I know it's very uncommon for it to happen.

Anything you think could've caused he to do this or any other possibilities as to why this happened would be great

Typically three sows living together may bicker now and then but this was a savage attack. My first instinct is that the attacker was ravaged with pain and literally out of her mind in agony. It's not exactly accurate that a new sow will cannibalize her pups.          Sometimes if a baby is stillborn the mom tries so frantically to stimulate her dead baby she mutilates it in a futile and sad attempt to revive it.  This attack is out of the norm and I truly think there was a cause related to pain.   

It also causes me to wonder if she may have a severe mite infestation which may have started the barbering. Mites left untreated can become systemic and once in the brain tissues cause the poor creature to go insane and become violent.   

I'm so sorry you had to witness something so horrific. I hope this helps in some way.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.