Guinea Pigs/Guinea pig

Question
I've had my guinea pig for 7 months. I lover her and spoil her. Lately I've been noticing really abnormal behavior. She has been scratching a lot more than usual. She doesn't want to be petted or touched as much and begins to cry when I attempt to pick her up and I took her crying as a red flag. I have read that she may have mites. I tried inspecting her fur for little red bumps or rashes but she seems to have a bit of dandruf. She is eating a little bit more than usual. I just want to know if there's something wrong with her and if there's any way I can help her before needing to take her to the vet.

Answer
What you are describing is a classic case of mites. You will not see the mites or will you find any evidence of rash or redness. Most pigs will chew a v shaped area on their backs from chewing on both sides.

The best treatment is Adam's Dip, available at any pet store. Mx according to the instructions. The best place to use it is in your bathroom and sink. You need a basin large enough to dip the pig in up to her ears. Be careful not to get any of the solution in the eyes or ears. The water only needs to be about three inches deep. You can use a small cup to pour the solution over the pig's coat, getting it completely saturated.

This is the most important part: DO NOT DRY THE PIG OFF. Allow it to drip dry. You can put her in a small box with a towel on the bottom and allow her to stay there until dry enough to go back to the cage.

Don't use any other brand of dip as I've found they do not work as well. There is also a spray made by Adam's, but for bad infestations which as your girl has the dip works best. You can repeat the treatment in ten days. That should take care of the mites, eggs and any lice if she has them as well.

I hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen