Guinea Pigs/Guinea Pig: Strange sleeping habit and living with rabbits(?)

So I got a baby guinea pig (Peanut) and 2 baby rabbits today. The place I got them from already had guinea pigs and rabbits living together so I figured it was okay, but when I was lookong online some articles said it was not okay. What is your opinion? Is it okay for them to live in the same cage?
Also Peanut likes to sleep in his food, I noticed, and he also poops in his food too. Do you know why? Do I need to make him a bed?
I am new to owning Guinea Pigs so any tips you may have would be much appreciated!
Thank you so much!

ANSWER: I would not leave the pig with the rabbits. As they grow rabbits can become aggressive and the pig will lose the battle.

The other issue is the food. Rabbit food often has antibiotics in it, but does not have vit C. Rabbits make their own vit C just as humans do. Guinea pigs do not. Therefore their feed much be supplemented with the additional Vit C. Guinea pigs cannot tolerate the antibiotics in the rabbit feed.

If the rabbit feed did not have antibiotics in it, it's okay for the pig to eat. However, your pig must have extra doses of parsley, kale, etc. to replace what he needs.

The biggest issue of Peanut living with the rabbits is that especially if he's a baby pig, he will likely suffer injury from the rabbits. I would keep him in his own cage.  

QUESTION: I would also like to know of ot is possible for a human to transder somwthing like a cold to their guinea pig or rabbit?
Thank you so much for your help!

Guinea pigs do not catch colds. The only thing we know of that is transmittable to them is Bortadella, aka Kennel Cough. This can be transmitted from a dog or cat to a pig if the dog  or cat has come close enough to the pig's face. That doesn't mean face to face, but just in close enough proximity in that same room.

Guinea pigs are inherently healthy animals. Rabbits are more susceptible to problems than guinea pigs are. Having said that, most breeders are still cautious when they enter their caviary or rabbitry as a precautionary practice.

Respiratory illness in either rabbits or cavies are more likely to happen when there is poor ventilation and poor hygiene habits on the part of the human taking care of them. Breathing air that is heavy with ammonia is bad for both animal and human.

I did not address your previous question about Peanut's sleeping and fouling his food bowl. Unlike rabbits, guinea cannot typically be litter box trained. They go wherever their backside happens to be. If Peanut is sleeping in his dish it's because that's where he feels comfortable and safe. Another reason he needs housing of his own.

If he continues to poo and pee in his dish get a bowl that can be mounted off the floor, attached to the side of the cage. Put it high enough that he must stand up to reach it. He will still eat from it, but will not be able to sleep in it.

Guinea pigs cannot live on a wire floor. Their body weight is proportionally heavier than a rabbits, making it possible for them to develop sores on the bottoms of their feet. Rabbit cages are built with wire floors so their droppings fall through. Guinea pigs should not be kept on a wire floor.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.