Guinea Pigs/Female skinny pig discharge

I have a female skinny pig that is just over 6 weeks old. I noticed upon picking her up yesterday that a small amour of white thick discharge was surrounding her vagina (I wiped it away with a tissue).
Is it normal for a female skinny pig to have discharge?

First and foremost I have to ask, is she or was she in with any older boars or maybe her dad?  Baby sows can and do come into their first estrus as young as 2 weeks of age.  I had a young female I got from another breeder and she was five weeks old.  She got fat and I thought she was just too aggressive at the grain bowl I always had in my cages.  

Moving ahead six weeks, she gave birth to four large and healthy pups. She was only three months old. Counting backward I realized she'd been impregnated at 2 1/2 weeks of age. It did not stunt her growth, she raised all the babies just fine and everyone was healthy.

If this discharge was quite thick and white, it's very possible it could be a semen plug IF she was with a boar old enough to breed. Baby boars are not able to impregnate a sow until they are about a 4 mo old. I've tried and tried with different sows and different baby boars and the results were all the same. So if she was in a litter with brothers it's unlikely they were the culprits.

On another note, I've had pigs (especially babies) that had this happen. It is usually a one time occurrence. None of mine had any further instance of this discharge.  Human baby girls often have the same type of discharge if they are breast fed. . It's a hormonal effect from the estrogen they get through mother's breast milk. They often can have swollen nipple and appear to be growing little breasts. But again it is comin from mother's breast milk and does not stay.

I hope this helps you.  If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask again.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.