Guinea Pigs/eye problem

Question
my guinea pig zipper has a bump between her lower eyelid and eye its really small and greyish color i see nothing else wrong with her eye its not red, crusty, swollen, or over watery i don't think it protruding and it wasnt there when i went to feed her at 8am i first noticed it when i went give her veggies at 10:30 am i have an appointment for her yearly set for the 23 my friend suggested using triple antibiotic ointment since she think a piece of hay must of poked zipper's eye is this safe to use shes almost 2 years old do i need to get her in to vet right away or should i try the ointment ?

Answer
It sounds like what Zipper has is a common condition called 'pea eye' also known as fatty eye. It's a harmless condition that causes no pain or visual problem with the pig.  For a show pig it is a disqualification, but is nothing but cosmetic.

The lower lid loses some of its elasticity causing it to droop. The conjunctival tissue inside the bottom lid then protrudes over the bottom lid. Some dog breeds such as Bloodhounds and Bassett Hounds have this droopy eye and is considered cute. For guinea pigs it's just something that happens. It is harmless, painless and doesn't bother the animal at all.

It is an hereditary trait, so breeders who are breeding show animals do not use any animals that have had this in their line.  There is nothing that prevents the pig from being a wonderful pet and the condition does not affect their health OE lifespan in any way.

I hope this helps. If you're still not sure that I'm describing what you're seeing, please send me a picture.  There is no need to put any salve or medication on or in the eye. It would not serve any purpose and you don't want to risk the pig having an allergic reaction to the medication.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen