Guinea Pigs/Baby guinea pigs

Hi my guinea pig just had babys a week ago and I check on them every day and today I checked on them and one of the baby's is bleeding from the bottom and another one dosent move much it almost looks like it's paralyzed in some way and they both look like they r trying to poop but it won't come out... there are three all together and the other one is just fine can u help me figure this out...

I am guessing that they each have an intestinal blockage from something they have eaten. Although they will eat pellets at this age they're still not mature enough to eat everything that mom eats.

You need to look at what you may have given mom. Are you giving her veggies? There are some things even she should not eat such as celery, cabbage or anything with excessive fiber. Be sure you are feeding guinea pig pellets and not rabbit food. Her pellets should be a good quality pellet and not the bags from the grocery store such as those with all the colored fruit loops and colored bits in them. Those are put there to entice the buyer, not the guinea pigs.

The second consideration is trauma.

I need to ask if the father is in the cage with mom and babies? If he is you need to remove him now! The mother comes into heat within hours of delivery. A baby sow can come into their first heat as young as two weeks old. If the boar is with them he will try to breed them. That can sometimes cause injury to the babies.

If your babies are showing such severe signs of illness they may not survive. I wish I had an answer for you that would give you some kind of hope, or way to reverse this, but without more information I'm afraid I am limited.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.