Guinea Pigs/Guinea Pig hurt?

So I was carrying my Guinea pig on my couch and we were fine. But then this noise appeared and she got scared and got off my lap and she freaked out. I don't know how but she managed to jump off my couch and started to run like crazy. I catched her and put her back in her cage. After that she started to sneeze a lot and having a weird wet breathing. She also almost right after putting her in her cage she layed down and got up and walked a little but then layed down at the same time like if she was tired or she hurt her legs when she jumped off my couch. So I don't know if she hurt her legs after that jump and what about that breathing? Did something happen to her?

It's possible it was just fright that caused her to run like that. I would suggest you just leave her alone and quiet for a day and see if she doesn't return to her old self.

Guinea pigs are faster than one would expect, given their pudgy little bodies and short legs. It's unlikely she suffered a leg injury, or she would not use the affected leg. I've seen many a pig take a dive right out of someone's arms and land hard on the ground.  The most typical injury is often a broken tooth. However, since their teeth never stop growing they are able to replace it quickly.

They also make strange sounds on occasion that sound like they're wheezing, but in fact are not. The best indicator of how she feels is whether she is eating and drinking normally.  If she is, then she is okay.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.