Guinea Pigs/guinea pig bleeding heavily from vagina

my guinea pig boo has been bleeding from her vagina for a least a week she has been losing weight and not eating properly. yesterday, sadly my guinea pig was found dead in her cage I can't stop crying about her as she was my little girl who loved cuddles and kisses. I really want to know why she died and what could of been happening inside her body.

I am so very sorry you lost your precious Boo.

Usually when there is vaginal bleeding we suspect what is going on is an aborted litter. Was there any chance she had been with a male pig in the last ten weeks? If not the next possibility is something like uterine cancer. There is no way to say for sure what it was without a necropsie, which is the animal version of an autopsy.

Bladder cancer or bladder stones are another possibility. However, at this point it isn't going to ease your pain to know for sure what the cause of death may have been. To know this is not a comforting answer and I wish I had an absolute answer. Unfortunately do not.

I am so sorry for your loss Courtney. I know how painful it is to lose something you love, and it is made even more painful if have friends or family who don't understand. My thoughts are with you.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.