Guinea Pigs/Guinea Pig has lump on toe on, back foot

Question
Garth\'s Foot
Garth's Foot  
Hello, the past couple of weeks i have noticed my GP has a growing lump on the middle toe on his back foot. The lump feels hard and doesn't seem to bother him when i touch it.
There isn't a cut anywhere oh his foot, his cage is a solid plastic base with fleece bedding so its not from his cage, and he is a lone GP so another GP hasn't injured him.
Just a bit concerned what this could be, I got him from an animal shelter and was told he is around 2 years old. He had been given up for adoption twice before i got him so i am not sure if this has been an issue in the past for him.
Any advise would be most appreciated. I have attached a picture of the lump.

Many Thanks
Emma

Answer
Than you for the picture. It's always more helpful to see when you're trying to give a description.

It could be some kind of a benign bone tumor. Since it doesn't bother him when you press on it or touch it I would not worry about it. It doesn't appear to be red or any sign of infection. The pink you see is just the color of his skin because his feet are white. Anywhere that a pig has white hair, the skin underneath is pink.

I don't see anything that is a red flag or something to worry about. Nor do I think there's a connection between given up for adoption and this lump on his foot. Many times people bring home an animal that is cute and cuddly, but forget that there is maintenance that goes with any animal. They get tired of cleaning up after it, and back it goes.

Just looking at the foot I can tell he is a longhaired breed, but without a full picture I can't tell if he is a Peruvian, Silky or Coronet. I'm sure you already know that the longhaired breeds need more attention to their hair than the shorter varieties. But that's neither here nor there.

I would not worry about this foot as long as he is not showing any signs of it getting worse or causing him trouble or pain. It's possible that at one point in his life he injured that toe in some way, perhaps even a small fracture. As bones heal they will often become a bit deformed, but that deformity is nothing more than cosmetic.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen