Guinea Pigs/Dislocation Of Front Leg (?)

Question
Hey there! Recently something terrible has happened to my piggy of about 4 years, Scurry. A possum attacked him and roughed him up before I heard him squealing and managed to save him. Some chunks of his fur were ripped out, but there was absolutely no bleeding. My poor piggy was quite terrified, but when I held him close he started purring. (I guess he was expressing his gratitude or maybe he was glad?) I thought he was maybe unharmed but now I realize that he cannot walk. Something appeared to be wrong with his front legs. Upon further examination, I found that his front left leg was either broken or dislocated. When I folded his leg back, he was unable to fix it back to its position, something that a paralyzed piggy would be unable to do with its back legs. But he did notice it was out of place. He attempted to move it back, and I could see his shoulder blade moving but it did seem awfully out of place. The leg did not move. My piggy doesn't seem to be dragging the leg, he's attempting to use it but failing to. When I do touch around he does at times give a loud squeak of pain, so I know he still has feeling in his leg. Hopefully I can take him to a vet tomorrow but I want to know if he's going to be alright or if his injuries are far worse than I think.

With much thanks,

Catty.

Answer
The leg may or may not be broken, but you are correct it could be dislocated.  The best thing you can do at this point is to make a splint to immobilize the leg.  Using gauze stripping you can wrap the leg. You need to put it in the normal position, but do not try to force it.

What you want is to put the leg in the position it would be in when he leans down on it. The toes facing the front and the bend of the leg at the elbow in a normal position. Then using some gauze or strips of cloth, wrap it from underneath, going over his back. Wrap it a couple of times, then either tie it or tape it on his back so he can't wiggle out of it.

Since he's not using the leg he shouldn't try to remove the wrapping. The goal is to keep the leg immobile until you can get to a vet to have it looked at. If it's is a simple dislocation the vet can manipulate the joint and put it back where it belongs.

If there is internal injury and a nerve has been involved it may not be repairable. But that's a judgment the vet will make.

Please let me know how this works out.  Best of luck to you and Scurry.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen