Guinea Pigs/Sick guinea pig

Question
Hi, hoping you can help me, I have about a 2 1/2 month old female guinea pig, she has been fine up until last night. She is displaying a twitch and a little clicking in her nose. I am a vet tech and did take her in for an xray, her chest is clear. She is making this movement with her mouth almost like a cat dose when they have a hairball. My vet knows nothing about guinea pigs and there is not an exotic vet around here. Does this sound like an uri and if so besides antibiotics is there anything else I can do.

Answer
Guinea pigs often make odd sounds that can sometimes mimic respiratory issues. But most of the time they are treated without the benefit of a real diagnosis.  Your x ray has already confirmed she has clear lungs.

The twitch and gag reflex could indicate an ear issue. Have your vet look into the ear on the affected side to see if there is anything that could cause it. Ear mites are rare in cavies. I would not put any drops in her ear without knowing what the issue is.

Do not get tempted to treat her with antibiotics. They do not tolerate them well and if given any kind or form of penicillin they will develop a secondary infection, as the pcn destroys the natural flora in the gut. Too often an antibiotic is prescribed more to comfort the owner than to benefit the pig.

The only antibiotics a cavy can tolerate is Baytril or Bactrim.  But in this case I would NOT treat with anything, since you have no working diagnosis. Guinea pigs are typically misdiagnosed with URI's because they make funny sounds. If you took 10 pigs and put their chest wall to your ear you would hear a sound that may lead you to think it is a wheeze or a click. It's a normal sound. My herd of 65 all had that same quirk.

Since this started only last night I would not recommend getting too aggressive with treatment. A wrong treatment can do more damage than no treatment. Give her a day or two to see if this resolves on her own. You have an advantage as a vet tech to ask your vet for help.

Please let me know what your vet says. I realize that few vets are cavy experienced. That is not their fault. Cavies are one of the lesser known and studied exotic pets and because there are so few of them that come in as patients most vets rarely have the opportunity to gain the experience.  Rabbits on the other hand are a far greater 'patient base' and more study has been done on them than on the average guinea pig.

I had the good fortune to have breeder/exhibitor friends who were veterinarians and who had a good working knowledge of cavies in general. But the majority of their experience was had by trial and error on their own animals.  They specialized in exotic pets for that reason.  Unfortunately there just aren't enough of them.

Please keep in touch and let me know how she does.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen