Guinea Pigs/guinea pig problems

Question
So can you take your guinea pigs outside like in the sun and feed them vegetables thats high in water so they dont get dehydrated?Thanks in advance.

Answer
This is a yes and no answer. Guinea pigs enjoy grazing on grass. The danger is the sun. If they're left in the sun and have no shade they will die in minutes.

If you want to make some kind of enclosure for them perhaps under a tree where there is shade, or can put something like a very low umbrella so they can get away from the shade they will be fine. Think of them as a tiny human infant. They need shelter from the hot sun. No amount of vegetables will help if they cannot get away from the hot sun.

Even on a day when it seems nice outside, that sun's rays can be harmful. Louisiana is well known for both heat and humidity. So putting your pigs outside with good shelter for them to get under is imperative. But they do enjoy the grass. Just make sure that if they are going to graze there is no weed spray or chemicals on the grass.

If you're wanting to permanently house them outside the same rules apply. They can stand very low temperatures, but heat and direct sunlight are their enemies.

Most people have no idea that guinea pigs can swim. Of course that doesn't mean toss them in the pool, but if you have a small wading pool and just put enough water that their feet can touch if they need to, they enjoy paddling around a bit. Of course you should never leave them alone in the water, but if you want to give them a  treat in the heat, you can even put a couple of inches of water in the bathtub and watch them paddle around.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen