Guinea Pigs/guinea pigs

Question
Hi  I've a 16 sq ft cage for my 2 cavies and I've an old tin dollhouse (22 inches wide x 11 inches deep) that I'd like to sit inside the cage, along with other toys and chews, as a hidey hut. I'm using a felt playmat with a road map design. Will this be harmful in any way to my cavies? or will they enjoy it?

Answer
I see no reason you couldn't use your dollhouse for a hidey hole for your pigs. It's been my experience that most pigs don't play with toys like a hamster or rat would, but as long as there's nothing harmful that they could chew on you can certainly give it a try.  

Do keep in mind that guinea pigs are not tidy when it comes to where to leave their droppings. They are much like chickens, wherever they are standing that's where they will go.  Rabbits can be box trained. No so with guinea pigs.

Just make sure your felt mat is able to be washed or laundered if need be. With summer approaching (hopefully soon) you can always take the mat outside, hose it off and let it dry in the sun. But as far as anything dangerous for the pigs, I think they'll be perfectly fine.

Hope this helps you.  I would love to see a picture when you get it all put together.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen