Guinea Pigs/Drooling guinea pig

My 5 year old sow ( who has previously had respiratory problems)has a very wet chin and chest could this be something serious ? She quite recently had a full dental and everything was fine. I'd be extremely grateful for any replies.

Before we assume this is an issue inside the mouth, you need to feel under her chin for any sign of an abscess that may be draining. If you can feel a lump, it's possible it is opening enough to drain just enough to make her chin wet.

A drooling pig is usually a sign of either a dental problem or something caught in the mouth that is preventing her from swallowing. Looking inside their mouths is not easy. You may need to take her to your vet so he can do an exam using the tools he has to keep the mouth open.

Five is a ripe old age for a guinea pig, but that is not to say she is reaching the end of her time. She is obviously healthy otherwise, and drooling is not a sign of impending doom. This sounds more like she has a foreign body in her mouth, perhaps caught on the roof of the mouth that she cannot remove.

I think the wisest thing to do is have her looked at by your vet. If there is a foreign body of some kind caught on the roof of her mouth he will be able to remove it.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.