Guinea Pigs/Is my guinea pig pregnant!?

Question
I have two guinea pigs. The boar 1 years old (rescued 11th of May), and the sow 6 years old. My boar is outside and the sow is inside,she is ill with a lump in her throat/neck. Anyway, because my previous guinea pig died my remaining sow is on her own, i think both the guinea pigs are lonely, so from time to time i let them see each other (they are always supervised and always in the safety of someones lap so if they try to mount each other we can stop and separate them). The boar has tried to mount her back ( I don't know if they have properly 'done it', i don't know how long it takes to 'be complete') but the female arched her back ( i think from a previous post that i saw, this means that she was going to spray urine at him). However it is quite save to say that my female doesn't like the male guinea pig, she tries to nip at him if he is rumble-strutting and she squeals when he gets close to her.
I've noticed over the last week or so that she appears rounder, i don't know if it is because she is on her own and getting to eat more food or if she is pregnant. I hope she isn't pregnant because of the risk, I've heard she would most likely die. Am i just being an over concerned guinea pig mum, or could there be a possibility that she is pregnant?

Answer
First Louise, I apologize for not catching this question earlier.  What you are describing is the typical behavior of any male pig. I think you are right, she was about to give him a squirt in the face.  If she objected to his passes, chances are she was not ready or willing to give in, and despite his advances the sow will always win. So hopefully he never caught her at her vulnerable time.

The complete conception takes only a few seconds. So you may not have seen them in the process. The boar is a young virile fellow and they will often miss their target and you will find a glob of what appears to be dried glue on the sow. That being said, it is unlikely that she would get pregnant at 6 yrs of age. That's an old sow, comparable to a 70 yr old woman. Most pigs have a lifespan of around 5 yrs of age, although my oldest sow lived to be 7 1/2.  

The gestation period is 10 weeks. You wouldn't typically feel movement until the last 2 to 2 1/2 weeks of pregnancy. If you hold her on your lap and put both hands over each side of her belly you should feel movement. It is tiny little kicks, almost like a hiccup.

You are correct, the risks are very high for her at her age. So hopefully she did not conceive. I would suggest that if you want them to have company just put a barrier between the cages and that will be enough social contact for them.

It's difficult if not impossible to tell when she is in heat by the actions of the boar.  They are like teenage boys, always strutting and hoping.  So his rumblestruts are just showing off his intent. It doesn't mean she's in heat.  

I hope his helps. Please let me know what happens.  And if you have any more questions please don't hesitate.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen