Guinea Pigs/Guinea pig rejecting baby.

Question
My guinea pig lex gave birth to two babies one was stillborn.over a period of 4 hours I did not notice Lex feeding her baby so I kept them together and watched. She kept pushing the baby away with her head and running away from the baby. I have two other guinea pigs one that gave birth to 4 babies 2 weeks ago and one that gave birth to 5 babies 3 days ago. I took Lexis baby and tested it out with both of the moms the most recent mother is allowing her to feed and I just want to make sure that this will be successful and that I don't have to hand feed.

Answer
It is seldom successful to hand feed new babies. However, guinea pigs are awesome mothers and if Lex refuses to take the baby the other mothers may.

The secret to success in fostering is to make sure the foster mother doesn't realize she's been fooled into taking another baby.  The simplest and most successful trick is to put some Vicks on the nose of the fostering mom.  It alters her sense of smell just enough that the new baby can nurse. Once she has nursed that baby, she will continue to do so.

A guinea pig will not nurse their own babies until they've completely passed all the contents of the uterus. That may take up to 12 hours, but the babies are just fine waiting. To try to force feed them often results in the baby aspirating and dying. Best to let Mother Nature do her thing.

When a sow continues to push the babies away it sometimes means there's another pup that she cannot pass. They instinctually know not to feed until the right time. I apologize for not seeing this question when it was written and I hope everything has calmed down by now.

If the foster mom is feeding the baby, leave it where it is. Breeding cavies is not for the week of heart. The stillborn ratio is high, higher than most animals. But that's just the way Nature has made them and there's nothing you can do about it.  

Please let me know how things are going, and whether Lex began to nurse her surviving baby. Again my apologies for not seeing this sooner.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen