Guitar - General/Epiphone Guitar

Guy Slater wrote at 2009-01-27 17:40:24
I have a pr-650-asb epiphone that says Kalamazoo, MI on the label, but also says, "Made in Japan". If your pr-650-asb says, "Made in Japan", it was not made in 1965, but between 1976 and 1983 ('83 was the year they moved production to Korea).

LuckyLuke wrote at 2009-09-01 03:34:43
I recently found the same exact model Epi with a serial of 96646 in Scenectady, NY. That would put this guitar in the same production run as yours. I don't have any reason to say otherwise but i have a hard time believing that this is a 1965 model simply because it is in such good shape. I think I paid $200 something for it after haggling a bit. The sound is incredible, the action is a tad high but that actually suits this guitar for the style I'm playing, a lot of open tuning blues and slide.

The finish is the most incredible part, although I have a sneaking suspicion it might be a laminate top just from the look of the grain. Overall, this was an absolute steal for the price and, if it's actually a 65, it is the best pick up ever. Found it for my little sister, but it lives in my collection while she's at college.

LuckyLuke wrote at 2009-09-01 03:34:52

Robert Lang wrote at 2016-03-04 15:32:08
The unofficial WIKI for epiphone has a list of acoustic epiphones and their materials.  Only 6 of 15 had solid spruce tops.  All others are laminated.  To the purest, they might believe that solid is best but the engineer knows that laminates allow you to work beyond nature's limitations.

Think of the British De Havilland Mosquito, designed from 1938 to 1940 and produces from then through 1947, but for steel wires, engines, and cockpit glass, the fighter/bomber was laminated spruce.  It was the fastest NON-JET, the highest flying, and SAFEST airborne weapon of the war.  

So I might wonder, what is wrong with laminated spruce?

Guitar - General

Lynne May