Guitar - General/sears guitar

techwriter wrote at 2009-03-04 14:39:18
Just adding to the question.  I also have a guitar with the only markings being "Sears" at the top and a sticker with the number 1248 on the back above the tuning machine.  

I had forgotten that I owned it and came across it the other day and have set out to replace the the strings, plastic strap button, bridge pins and tuner knobs that have all hardened and cracked.

Knowing what I know now I can see why it was so hard to learn to play since the 6th fret is about .030" higher than the rest of them.  Other than that it is in good condition and all of the frets are tight.  The strings had been loosened before it was put into storage.

I bought it in 1978 or 79 when it was called the Dreadnought version of the larger flat top in the catalog.  It is a sunburst color with an adjustable rod in the neck.  No cracks or damage other than a few dings to the finish from using it.  It appears to have a solid top and to be of decent construction on the inside.  I cannot identify the kind of wood.  I remember that I paid $55.00 for it new from the local Sears merchant. There was no music stores in that area.

The only shortcomings is that the original finish is applied a little sloppy, but it still looks good. I notice that it never had a binding or finish on the sides of the neck as my more expensive instruments have.  I am referring to the material that would be on the neck that would cover the lower ends of the frets.  I can see the ends of the frets that also indicates that it was a cheaper made instrument.

I am also curious as to what it might be worth once I have replaced the old plastic that I listed above.  From what I see on the internet a new one today that is about like it that is probably made in China would have a selling price of about $300 - $400.

I would also appreciate any comments or information about this instrument.  Is it still worth the original purchase price of $55?  I would never expect a guitar with the Sears name on it to be a collectors item or of any great value.

I have heard that as a solid top instrument ages it sounds better.  I expect this to have a decent tone and sound to it once I put on the new strings and adjust the one high fret.

aljams wrote at 2015-02-03 01:51:30
The WG stands for "western guitar"....Sears on the headstock instead of Silvertone makes it late '72-'75. Most likely has a three piece back with a lighter color in the middle. Vintage "low end" guitars like this are fun to own and play, and some will surprise you with a really good sound. What it's worth would depend on condition, of coarse, and there are a few for sale out there. If it plays good and sounds ok, you should hang on to it. They didn't exactly make a zillion of them and as the years pass, every single one of these jewels will be valuable. A neat find.

Guitar - General

Lynne May