Guitar - General/Gibson SG ??

JW wrote at 2008-12-02 16:54:21
I have almost exactly the same guitar and I am the original owner. It is a 1975 Gibson SG2. The only diffference is where you attach the strings is not tunable on mine.

Pat wrote at 2011-04-11 21:28:36
I have this exact same guitar. Mine is a 1974 Gibson - SG II. As far as I know, the early 70's was when Gibson produced the SG Classic, SG - 100, SG - 200, SG -300. They are great guitars but lower grade hardware ie: pickups, tuners etc. also no inlays or other extras. This was to boost sales by creating authentic SGs without some of the extras. Regarding the finish, it looks just like mine. I don't think it was painted though. If you remove the pick guard or switch plate you may find the original color. I guess they didn't have appropriate UV protection in the lacquers back then. These are pretty rare. I've seen them selling on the web for between $600 - $1000. Enjoy your guitar!!

Pat (up in Canada)

Jeff W wrote at 2012-06-06 02:18:16
This is definitely a Gibson sg 11.  I have exactly the same guitar which I purchased in 1975 brand new. The color of yours looks the same as mine. It is made of Walnut. it still is extremely easy to play with a very small neck and very light weight. You can get some more info at the Gibson website. I believe they were made in Kentucky. You can find out the year of the guitar by looking on the chart for the serial number. It confirmed that mine was made in 1975. I have still never found another guitar anywhere that is so easy to play and requires so little pressure on the fingerboard.  I think you have a great find.  

Warren wrote at 2014-12-09 04:18:56
That is a Gibson SG.  I have one just like it (serial no. 179066) that I purchased in Jan, 1973.

Guitar - General

Jim Garber

I can answer most questions on fretted instruments, my main area of expertise is in vintage mandolins, guitars and ukuleles. I also know some things about old banjos as well.

I can also answer some questions about mandolin technique and since there is no separate mandolin category, I figure they might be asked under guitar.

I have decided to no longer evaluate instruments -- it is very difficult without the instrument in hand. For guitars and some other American fretted instruments, I recommend the Vintage Guitar Price guide. Also, be aware that most insurance companies want written appraisals so my valuation would not work anyway.

It also truly helps if you can includes a clear photo of your instrument. I think the site will only allow for one photo, but you can email me additional ones to I will try to evaluate but there are times that it is impossible without the instrument in hand

NOTE: I have decided that I will mostly answer questions about vintage instruments, generally before 1940. You can send me questions about contemporary guitars, but most likely I will send them to the question pool if I feel that I cannot answer them without extensive research.

I have been buying, selling, collecting and playing old and antique instruments for over 30 years. My recent specialty has been in European mandolins and classical and Italian mandolin music.Organizations
Classical Mandolin Society of America, active participant on the Mandolin Cafe; Current active expert in the Antique instrument category at

Guild of American Luthiers, Sing Out Magazine

BA, Brandeis University