Guitar - General/Hohner Acoustic 6 string guitar

mike wrote at 2009-01-11 04:00:31

I bought an HG-320 a few years ago on Ebay and love it.  It is one of the best playing guitars I have ever owned.  I paid $600 for it and it was worth it.  It does not have the projection of my Martin HD-28B, but it sounds very good.  It is hand made of very good woods (all solid) and it was a good atempt for Japanese makers at copying the Martin.  If you have the 320, hand on to it.

Pixie wrote at 2013-01-26 20:05:15
I also have an HG-230 of the same limited edition series.  Mine has solid brass pegs, bridges and tuners.  I have never seen any since I purchased mine in the early '80s.  On the Hohner website you can download a .pdf that lists all of the models except it skips the 230 model.  The ones in the same timeframe (1978-85) are all lacking descriptions.  I have sent a question into Hohner with the serial number but have not gotten any response.

ashley wrote at 2015-03-22 15:25:28
I have one too. Chocolate brown color. Looks like a solid maple top with brass string nut saddle and pegs. Cant find any info either but I do know that it plays and sounds fantastic

Guitar - General

Jim Garber

I can answer most questions on fretted instruments, my main area of expertise is in vintage mandolins, guitars and ukuleles. I also know some things about old banjos as well.

I can also answer some questions about mandolin technique and since there is no separate mandolin category, I figure they might be asked under guitar.

I have decided to no longer evaluate instruments -- it is very difficult without the instrument in hand. For guitars and some other American fretted instruments, I recommend the Vintage Guitar Price guide. Also, be aware that most insurance companies want written appraisals so my valuation would not work anyway.

It also truly helps if you can includes a clear photo of your instrument. I think the site will only allow for one photo, but you can email me additional ones to I will try to evaluate but there are times that it is impossible without the instrument in hand

NOTE: I have decided that I will mostly answer questions about vintage instruments, generally before 1940. You can send me questions about contemporary guitars, but most likely I will send them to the question pool if I feel that I cannot answer them without extensive research.

I have been buying, selling, collecting and playing old and antique instruments for over 30 years. My recent specialty has been in European mandolins and classical and Italian mandolin music.Organizations
Classical Mandolin Society of America, active participant on the Mandolin Cafe; Current active expert in the Antique instrument category at

Guild of American Luthiers, Sing Out Magazine

BA, Brandeis University