Guitar - General/IDENTIFY

Cam wrote at 2012-01-08 18:31:25
I don't know if this will help or not, but I own a Jerace SG copy.  I bought mine at a military store in the Philippines while in the Navy.  I guess the guy makes them by hand there in the Philippines.  I bought mine as an alternative to taking my good guitars out to sea with me.  It had an awesome neck on it when I first got it, and I switched out pickups on it. Now it's not in such great shape, but maybe someday I'll restore it.  

Vinnie wrote at 2013-08-08 01:26:20
I too, own a wood grain solid body guitar that I once thought was a Les Paul Custom from the Philippines and until recently didn't notice the "ghost" writing Jerace across top of headstock. Guess I'll hand it down to my Grand Son...

lester cruel wrote at 2014-11-27 11:29:39
William Jerace was an Italian luthier that worked at the Epiphone company before Gibson purchased it and moved it from the east coast to Kalamazoo Michigan; William had lots of parts as rioting workers were burning lots of materials, he kept making small amounts of instruments through the sixties and seventies and some have a gold Gibson style logo that reads Jerace, decent instruments and extremely rare to find.  

Joe Perry wrote at 2014-12-12 00:28:34
Hi, just noodling around the net and found this cool website. I love learning new things and was blown away to see the photo of your instrument which evoked a memory I forgot about for decades. I was at Manny's Music one summer day in mid 75 which at the time was at West 48th St. near Time Square and actually played a Jarace guitar. It was a wonderful copy of 1968 ES 330, the salesman had said it was made by a local guitar builder. I never gave any thought to it till just after seeing your post and realized that all the guitars I have owned, and thousands I have seen that your Jerace must be a rare bird, possibly only a handful exist on planet Earth. I think Jim nailed it with his two part answer to a tee on both accounts. Instruments from a luthier trying to start his own company which never hit the broad spectrum and built them from acquired parts. I also found the Jerace name to be Italian and records indicate one employee named Jerace worked for Epiphone and displayed some of his work in their famous downtown Manhattan showroom and  another Jerace worked for Gibson of Kalamazoo Michigan. Other Jerace names appear in a cemetery of Pentwater Michigan about an hour north of Kalamazoo. Alberi utenti pubblici: Tutti i risultati della ricerca su: Fortunato Jerace. best regards..Joe

Guitar - General

Jim Garber

I can answer most questions on fretted instruments, my main area of expertise is in vintage mandolins, guitars and ukuleles. I also know some things about old banjos as well.

I can also answer some questions about mandolin technique and since there is no separate mandolin category, I figure they might be asked under guitar.

I have decided to no longer evaluate instruments -- it is very difficult without the instrument in hand. For guitars and some other American fretted instruments, I recommend the Vintage Guitar Price guide. Also, be aware that most insurance companies want written appraisals so my valuation would not work anyway.

It also truly helps if you can includes a clear photo of your instrument. I think the site will only allow for one photo, but you can email me additional ones to I will try to evaluate but there are times that it is impossible without the instrument in hand

NOTE: I have decided that I will mostly answer questions about vintage instruments, generally before 1940. You can send me questions about contemporary guitars, but most likely I will send them to the question pool if I feel that I cannot answer them without extensive research.

I have been buying, selling, collecting and playing old and antique instruments for over 30 years. My recent specialty has been in European mandolins and classical and Italian mandolin music.Organizations
Classical Mandolin Society of America, active participant on the Mandolin Cafe; Current active expert in the Antique instrument category at

Guild of American Luthiers, Sing Out Magazine

BA, Brandeis University