Guitar - General/mahar guitars

Jay wrote at 2009-08-09 22:13:02
I personally think it's a decent guitar for the money. I have two of them that a friend gave me and they don't sound too bad. The action is a little too high for my taste, bad that's an easy adjustment. Squire is also a good guitar for the money as well. But if you're not looking to spend too much money, and you're just using it to jam with, then it's a solid buy.

guitar-lover wrote at 2009-08-11 21:20:59
My step-son just won a Mahar guitar at our local fair for knocking three bottles down with a little toy gun. It looks like a strat, but it won't hold tune and he's asked me to set it up for him. It's made of plywood! Materials look shotty, at best and the pick-ups are SO NOISY! I'd go Squier - definitely!

daniel wrote at 2010-03-07 03:44:07
mahar gituars are good gituars i have seen one for 550 dollars im sure some cost over a thousand i have one bought for 300 they are good gituar they are well none to people and famous bands also use them to and are good gituars.

Koleen wrote at 2010-10-28 01:51:36
My 5 year old just got the zebra stripe Mahar guitar today from Peter Piper Pizza for 15,000 tickets.

Guitar Player... wrote at 2011-05-19 18:02:44
A Mahar is a good guitar but a Squier is a better guitar. The Mahar sounds great, it has a little more buzz to it but its not bad. It holds tune really well and has almost the same variance in tone as a Squier. If you are looking for a good cheap guitar a Mahar is a great way to start, but later move up to the Squier.

Tiamat5774 wrote at 2011-09-13 08:03:17
I own the Mahar Zebra "Strat" electric.  The only bad news is that it is very cheaply made.  The good news is with very little work and a little extra cash, you can bring its playability up to par by exchanging its hardware out with Fender/Chandler hardware (tuning keys, tremolo, single coil pickups).  My wife won mine getting a softball into a milk churn at Adventures Unlimited Amusement Park.

It sounds decent for a beginner's guitar out of the box once tuned up using an electronic tuner (out of the box, don't try tuning this guitar by ear.  The tremolo intonation and offsets are not set up).

Perry wrote at 2012-05-25 19:34:00
Mahar guitars are TOYS, made in India, to look like an actual guitar. The Mahar is a POS and you should NOT buy one. They give these crappy toys away at carnivals... that should give you an indication of what you're dealing with. If you are seriously looking to invest 80 dollars in a beginner guitar set up, find yourself an orphaned Fender Starcaster that some kid wants to get rid of. They're actually a lot better than most folks make them out to be, and if you decide at some point you want to upgrade it, you can easily turn it into a Frankenstrat that plays very well.

Combat veteran wrote at 2012-08-09 05:35:16
I just won one at the fair today for 6 tickets($3) a miracle ball toss... Honestly it looks awesome, but extremely low quality... It's a perfect wall hanger.

Freecycler wrote at 2013-03-15 05:05:36
I just found a Mahar guitar in a dumpster,,, the price was right!

Guitar - General

I'm the BS-artist's dream. I'm self-taught, and my technical understanding of musical theory is limited. However in many cases if I hear it and my A.D.D. isn't in overdrive I can figure it out. I relate more to classic artists like Angus Young, Keith Richards & Tony Iommi, but have figured out some of the tricks of the trade used by more modern players as well. I know anything you'd ever want to know about Gibson SG's & Flying V's, and am one of the few cats you'll find here in South Carolina who doesn't worship all things "Skynyrd". Always willing to go out of my way to help budding young players, and most of my students have been disenfranchised youth and females...being kind of the aging punk-rock/hard-rock guru I've taken many folks under my wing who might not have otherwise had the confidence. It's a pleasure to see someone succeed with things I've passed on to them. So try me, I might be able to help! I'm NOT one who knows a ton about vintage guitar values, dating or specs unless it's a Gibson SG, so if you have questions regarding other models of guitars you might want to ask someone else.

I've played bass, guitar, drums, lap steel & tinkered with several other instruments for over a decade. I've unfortunately not found my 'way' yet and remain a semi-pro, but have had enough experience to write a book.

School of Rock, baby!

I currently provide rock guitar lessons to students ranging from 7 years of age to 24 years, and am the de facto gear tech for my band and some other musicians when they let their equipment go. Want a no-nonsense, everyman's answer to help you along? I'll do my best!