Guitar - General/Crown Guitar

bsartistcanada wrote at 2010-12-31 07:09:15
My bandmate purchased a solid body Crown electric guitar in the mid 60's. It was a "budget" brand, purchased at a local department store. It's pretty cool looking now, but the value would likely be in its rarity. It was not a known brand, and likely had a dozen or more names slapped on it for sales around the world.  I have a picture of it if you are interested in seeing it.

VIPP wrote at 2011-05-28 17:04:04
WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL 1960 I WORKED AT A PAWN SHOP IN PASADENA , CROWN CITY LOAN AND JEWERLY. JULES STIENMAN PROPERTIER, I WAS BROUGHT IN AS A GUITAR (EXPERT) JULES WAS IMPORTING DROMS AND GUITRRS FROM JAPAN UNDER THE NAME OF (CROWN) AND SELLING THEM OUT OF THE SHOP AND TO CLYDE WALICKS  SP? MUSIC CITY.. HE WAS ONE OF THE FIRST TO MAKE AND IMPORT  JAPANESE GIUTARS ELECT AND ACCUSTIC.. THIS COULB  ONE IN THE SAME .. I AT 16 WAS INCHARGE OF QUALITY CONTROL SUCH AS IT WERE FOR THE FIRST YEAR IT STARTED..  ALL I KNOW MAY BE PART OF THAT ERA..

VIPP wrote at 2011-05-28 17:16:49
WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL 1960 I WORKED AT A PAWN SHOP IN PASADENA , CROWN CITY LOAN AND JEWERLY. JULES STIENMAN PROPERTIER, I WAS BROUGHT IN AS A GUITAR (EXPERT) JULES WAS IMPORTING DRUMSETS AND GUITRRS FROM JAPAN UNDER THE NAME OF (CROWN)/CROWN CITY AND SELLING THEM OUT OF THE SHOP AND TO CLYDE WALICKS  SP? MUSIC CITY.. HE WAS ONE OF THE FIRST TO MAKE AND IMPORT  JAPANESE GIUTARS ELECT AND ACCUSTIC.. THIS COULB  ONE IN THE SAME .. I AT 16 WAS INCHARGE OF QUALITY CONTROL SUCH AS IT WERE FOR THE FIRST YEAR IT STARTED..  ALL I KNOW MAY BE PART OF THAT ERA..I TAUGHT AT PEDRINI MUSIC AND DAVID LINDLEY TAUGHT AT BARRY AND GRASSMUC ON SAME STREET 1964+_

Kevin Cavenagh wrote at 2011-11-13 14:10:02
Hello Dave; Dont be discouraged!!! You received an answer from someone who admittedly does not know anything about that guitar and yet tells you $100-200??? try and find it for that price? You or they WILL NOT!!A CROWN Guitar if put into any search engine will direct you to "GIBSON" it is NOT a CHEAP GUITAR.The Value is MORE Likely to be 10x more then what THAT so-called "expert"Quoted.I have studying guitars since 1969.I have come across older Crowns "very well made" with the finest hardware/and woods.and some ivory.that is why they still play well 30 years+.ask this so-called expert WHERE you can purchase your guitar for $100.bucks.because not even a pawn shop would sell it for that  price.!!!Dave do your research.but most of all tell us how it plays and does it hold tune. that will give you and idea of its value.and to you janne maybe you could by a vintage guitar for a $100.(in the 60s) but DAVE was trying to obtain current value of a vintage guitar in this century!!!!

Arlien wrote at 2012-01-06 03:21:37
I have a Crown Acoustic that I won on a children's TV show (Banana Split's Show) when I was 8 in 1970.  It looks exactly like the one on the following link: http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-12610-Old-Vintage-Classical-Guitar-Japan-CRO  They are made in Japan and say so on the label inside.  Yes, it still plays well and holds it's tuning. It has a smooth classical tone.  As for the value, I can't really help with that. I'm keeping mine!  Good luck!  

Jay Burner wrote at 2013-07-07 09:39:20
I have the same exact guitar! The Vine of Life and the headstock "penny" inlay, but not the decorated pick guard. I bought mine online from a music store in Colorado -$400.00 W/TKL hard shell case. I found out that it actually was originally sold from a pawn shop called Crown City Pawn in Pasadena, Ca. which is very close to where I live. I don't know the Japanese maker but I took it to GC in Pas. and they happened to have a Martin D-45 for sale, and a 28. I played them both and even had one of the sales staff play mine - we both agreed the CCI was better sounding than the $7500.00 D-45, and $3000.00 D-28. I called Crown City Pawn and they said , "We don't sell those - we buy them"!!!  

Hilda wrote at 2015-03-19 01:09:30
I have a Crown Acoustic Guitar bought in the 1970's. I traded it for something else. I still play it and it has a nice sound. Tho I am thinking of getting a Yamaha. Either way I am keeping the Crown!

Unkle vermin wrote at 2015-12-02 17:21:17
So I have a similar guitar it has abalone inlays in the rosette and the neck with white binding all around. Though my headstock has a letter I and a letter C interlaced together. It's a good quality guitar and not a cheap made student instrument.  

Guitar - General

Lynne May