Guitar - General/Flipping the bridge on a new Les Paul

Question
QUESTION: Hi, recently I've been experimenting alot with various Gibson Les Paul's to purchase for the first time, but I just can't passed the way the bridge causes my wrist to arch. I was really disappointed until I heard the bridge can be flipped.
I like the idea, but I'm hesitant because it seems involved, and I don't think a store will flip it for me to test it out before buying one. Do you have any insight or advice as to how to go about this? That is, if flipping the bridge is even worth it.

Thanks,

Gene

ANSWER: Hey Gene, I'm not sure that will help your wrist from arching any & as far as I know there are only 2 reasons to flip the bridge:

1. So that the strings don't get caught on the screws (So you would turn the bridge so that the screws face the pickups)

2. Intonation - sometime you flip just a saddle so that it can cover a bit more ground.

Now to be honest with you, all I play are Gibsons & if your wrist is arching cause of the bridge, I'd have to say you're holding the guitar wrong.

So, first off, what you want to do is set your strap height. I never play without a strap & I recommend the same to everyone.

Start by standing up with the guitar strapped on in front of you & check the height. It will vary depending on how long your arms are. I'd say the best place to start would be to set the guitar up so that the very bottom of if just covers your belt buckle. (When you play you should also wear your belt buckle to the side so you don't chew away the finish on the guitar - that's called buckle rash) If you can climb the whole neck with your fret hand without bending  your wrist more than 45 degrees then it's set good. Your picking arm should be resting on the top edge of the guitar & your hand should rest just behind the neck pickup with your wrist just barely touching the top corner of the bridge. most of your picking will be done between the two pickups, but there are plenty of occasions where you want to play right where the strings meet the bridge & there are some occasions where you'll want to play the stings up on the fretboard as well. Especially for soft ballads etc. Anyways, I hope that helps somewhat. Let me know how it goes & good luck!
Peace - J.

QUESTION: Thanks, I'm thinking you may be right about making some adjustments to a Gibson. Maybe, it just a matter of getting used to. Guess its what makes it a Les Paul. I would, however, like to know more about your tip/tips on intonation. Which strings do you prefer, and just how low can the action be adjusted?

Answer
Hey Gene, I'm the wrong guy to ask for that bro! I play with my action pretty high compared to most guys, and I also use 2 different string types of differing gauges, so not too consistent there either. I only play D'Addario strings, for Rock & Blues I use either 10-46 Nickel Wound or 10 - 48 Chromes. If I want to play strict jazz, I'll load up on much heavier strings (11's or 12's) to remind myself not to bend the strings too much. As for intonation, it takes some practice to get it right, but in essence what you want to do is match the fretted note & the harmonic at the 12th fret. If they're both in unison, you're usually good to go if your neck is good. Hope that helps bro, if you need anything else, just drop me a line1
Peace - J.

Guitar - General

Jason Fryer