Guitar - General/2 keys

Hi Dave.  You said that " a chord can be in two or more keys because of.....

Take the e7 chord however .  I read online that it can be in a or e.  But when i look at the notes of each of those keys they have many more sharps than how the e7 is actually played. only with g sharp, b and e,d notes.  Why is this?

The E7 chord occurs as the V chord in the key of A major, and contains the note E, G#, B, and D

Some chords occur in more than one key (for example, E major 7 occurs as the I chord of E major and as the IV chord of B major.  It could also occur as the bIII chord of C# atural minor, the bvi chord of G# minor, or as the bvi chord of G# harmonic minor.

There is only one dominant 7 type chord in a major key.  The E7 chord therefore would occur as the V chord of A major key (or as the bvii chord of F# natural minor, or the V chord of A harmonic minor)

Guitar - General

Dave Dixon

Guitar player since 1987. Studied at Musicians` Institute. Worked as guitar/music teacher since 1991.

Since joining AllExperts I have been getting rated with 9's and 10's from most of the people I've answered questions from, so I guess that I must be doing something right. Not all that many people can be wrong. Questions about theory, technique, equipment, players, history, etc. welcome - just about anything in fact. The only things I prefer not to answer are requests for transcriptions, or equipment assessments/valuations.

Studied at Musicians` Institute.