Guitar - General/Chord Progression and Key

Hi . I'm a beginner at music theory and guitar and have gone through the circle of fifths, triad formation, scales, and keys.

I recently became interested in writing a song, the chords for which I used were E,C,C,G, and repeat.  The problem is that although it sounds fine, I can't find any evidence in theory that these chords go together.  Ie what key fits all these chords? None to my knowledge.

Please let me know how can I go about harmonizing this progression if it is infact it is a valid one.  I would know the notes to use if I knew the keys. Is there any other strategy I can employ to harmonize it?

Hi, Sunny--

Of course the C and G are not a problem. The chord in question is the E Major chord. Here is how they relate:

The E chord is the 5th of Am. Am is the relative minor of C Major. If you were to change the 2nd chord from C to Am, then the progression would make perfect sense. the 1st two chords would be in Am and the second two in C Major. To harmonize, use the A Harmonic Minor scale for the first two chords and the C Major or C Natural Minor for the second two.

The only problem is going back from G to E Major. To make a smoother transition, you might want to go from G to Em, then simply change the mode to E Major.

You can find more information about chord progressions at:

Best Wishes,
May Music Studio

Guitar - General

Lynne May

Any question relating to guitar playing: scales, chords, music theory, arpeggios, soloing, chord progressions, key signatures, buying a guitar, guitar tabs, writing guitar music, musical styles including rock, blues and classical. I can no longer answer questions as to the value of a guitar. Please do not flag your question as "Private", as this prevents other readers from benefiting. I will no longer answer "private" questions.

I have played guitar for 30 years. Fifteen years of that time I spent traveling nationwide as a performer. I have owned and operated May Music Studio in Washington state for the last 20 years. I also teach piano and drums. Recently I have started a website which provides absolutely free music lessons:

Publications expert author

Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts