Guitar - General/Pickup output

Question
Hi! My name is Nicolas. I want to change the pickups I hav in my washburn. I play mostly metal so I want a high output pickup like the seymour duncan invaders or the dimarzio d-sonic. What I dont know is if a high output humbucker such as the previously mentioned could be too much for my amplifier. I hav a 15W behringer amp and i'm not sure that if I did install these pickups if something would happen to my amplifier or not. I would appreciate any reply.

Answer
Hi, Nicolas!  Don't worry, you will be fine upgrading the pickups in your guitar.  The 15-watt rating on your Behringer amplifier relates to the output of the amplifier, not the input load.  The amp is more than capable of handling the hotter input.

I use really "hot" pickups and often practice through - and have even performed for small groups of people - running my pedal board through a little Fender 9-Volt powered amp!!!  (It looks a little silly, but dialed in screams like a monster!)

As to your pickup upgrades, I do have a suggestion.  I don't endorse a lot of products, choosing to use whatever I wish.  I do, however, heartily endorse DiMarzio pickups (their logo is emblazoned on my website); I use the Tone Zone in the bridge and the PAF Pro in the neck position.  Both are "hot" pickups, and I use a treble bleed circuit wired into the volume knob (any good tech will know how to do this) to keep my highs when I roll back the volume.  The reason I like these is that they're hot when you need it but still clean up when you roll off volume and can make some really clean sounds, too.  They can also shred.  Go to my website, www.jrosssmith.com, and check out the music stream of "Lazy Day."  One thing I've heard from many other players is how crisp the tone is even though there's distortion used.  I attribute this to the pickup combination.  (The combination was used on the clean, rhythm tone as well.) Hear it in action and see what you think!

Can't wait to hear from you!  

Guitar - General

J Ross Smith