Guitar - General/"rare" electric guitar?

Question
Hey J I'll start off by saying i know VERY little about guitars but I'm skilled in carpentry and mechanics/wiring so if the terminology is off forgive me. I have just recently acquired a Starforce 8000 it seems to be an old model because it only has a rear pickup "box" and no front pickup, hole to install one, or pick guard, so it either never came with them or someone has gone to great length to hide the fact it did. now it is a cherrywood finished plywood. to which i have never seen a picture or mention of another, I'm not asking what its worth as it'll probably never be sold. what i did want to know is have you run across one of these? and if so what is the sound going to be like from the one "box" style pickup? and would you give it to your 17 year old music nut kid?

Answer
Hi, Dan!  The Starforce guitars aren't necessarily rare, but you'll not see them often in the USA.  From what I understand, they weren't originally distributed here, so there's not a ton of them floating around.  As to how the pickup will sound, it depends upon the pickup itself.  Just having one pickup isn't necessarily a bad thing; Eddie Van Halen recorded some of his most copied tunes and made some of the greatest guitar tones ever using only one pickup.  I'm guessing the "box" type pickup you describe is what we call a "humbucker."  Humbucking pickups have two magnetic coils running together in a way that cancels out the buzz that older, single-coil type pickups suffer from, as well as producing a louder, "hotter" sound (humbuckers generally tend to be more powerful).  If it's in good shape and properly set up, I see no reason it couldn't sound great.  Note here that the amplifier used with it will have a lot to do with that sound; each one sounds different.  I'd definitely say it would be a welcome gift to a 17-year old music buff!  This kid might work hard and make that guitar famous!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to invite you to my personal website, www.jrosssmith.com.  You can peruse the blog, slap some graffiti on my Guest Book wall, or drop me a line via the "contact me" form.  It's a chance to sign up for the e-list so you can get cool early-release cuts, non-album material, and any other cool stuff I can come up with.  Can't wait to hear from you!

Guitar - General

J Ross Smith