Guitar - General/volume problems

Question
if you turn up the first volume up by its self the guitar works well
if you turn up the second volume up by its self the guitar work well

if you  turn up both vloumes up  together over all volume almost goes away  
lost and confused
the guitar was fine for years now this has just started .

Answer
Hi, Bob!  I hadn't ever run across a problem exactly like yours, but I did have a hunch that perhaps one of the volume knobs had been overturned and loosened the joint at the soldering point; causing it to become a bad connection.  These days, I'm so busy recording and doing all my other stuff that I no longer do my own tech work (think of a race car driver who has a crew to fix his car for him), so I consulted with one of the guys who does fantastic tech work for me, Thom Beebe.  Thom says that he thinks my first hunch might be correct, but he also had an experience with one of his guitars where it worked great for about 6 years and then the volume went out for apparently no reason.  What had happened was the solder went "cold" and no longer worked.  It had to be re-soldered to be fixed.  

In either event, your guitar will likely have to be re-soldered to be repaired.  It's not too difficult, but it is a detailed job, so if you're not familiar with doing work like this, you may want to take it to a tech to have it done for you.  

The good news is that it doesn't sound like there's anything major wrong with your axe that a simple soldering iron and a quick fix-it job will have it taken care of.  Maybe now would be a great time to replace the old pots with new ones just to be safe!  I use and highly recommend DiMarzio custom-taper pots for volume knobs.

I'd like to take this opportunity to invite you by my personal website, www.jrosssmith.com.  You can check the music streams, sign up for the e-list to get early releases and non-album cuts (free, of course), leave something on my Guest Book page, or contact me directly via the "Contact Me" page.  I can't wait to hear from you!  

Guitar - General

J Ross Smith