Guitar - General/amplifier/guitar

Hello,i have a question about a zakk wylde bfg guitar and amplifier question.I recently saw a zakk wylde bfg guitar and because its very hard to get in my country i put it on a layby,i manly wanted to have it as a collectible but because it was worth alot of money i also wanted to be sure it worked perfectly and im not over familiar with amplifiers but,i ask the person at the store if i could check the guitar with the amplifier to check all works ok,well for some strange reason they would not let me touch the amp so i could check myself,they bought out this really old looking amp and i know with zakk wylde guitars is good to have a amp with a overdrive this amp did not have that,well for starters the store person sets up amplifier then i pugged it in and heard a pop ,the store person had the amp on witch is a no no as i amp then would not work ,well not sure if it was guitar or amp as no sound nothing come out of amp so i thought it might of been the battery pack in back of guitar,so store person replaced that part then i had a go again with another amplifier,store person only put the amplifier knobs all up half way only,would not let me touch the amp again they had every knob on amplifier up half way that includes the volume,Gain so on all only half way up,now only a little sound was coming out of the amp,what i want to know would there be something wrong with the guitar or is it because the Gain ,volume and all other knobs should be up higher to get more volume in the sound coming out? would much appreciate a reply as soon as can be as thinking of taking it out one layby in the next 1-2 days time and the thing is i dont want to pay all this money out if the guitar is broken because this store has bad reputation in returning items or giving your cash back,but while i have it on a layby im safe as i can Cancel a layby.I seem to think it could be because amp knobs are all half way as Gain should be up near full and volume should be a bit higher,and little of what i heard coming from guitar sounded alright ,just more the volume was not there like it should be ,think there amps was like a 20-50w not big amps.your imput would be great thanks

Hey Lin, all I can say is that if they don't let you try the equipment you want to purchase, then don't buy the gear from them. AND, if they have a bad reputation, NEVER do business with them. That way they';ll go out of business faster & be replaced by someone honest. Hope that hel[ps, if you need anything else, just drop me a line.
Peace - J.

Guitar - General

Jason Fryer

Jason Fryer is a Canadian musician, producer, recording engineer & music instructor. Born in Montreal, Quebec, he attended the Musician's Professional Workshop on scholarship from Montreal radio station CHOM FM, studied Classical Music & Art at Vanier College, & holds a degree from Herzing Institute in Micro Computer Electronics. A veteran of the Canadian Music Scene, Jason has had the honour of playing with some of Canada’s finest musicians. Juno & Maple Blues award winning artists such as Jerome Godboo, Eric Shenkman, Jerry Mercer, Steve Marriner & Matt Sobb, Al Wood, Murray Kinsley, Leigh-Anne Stanton, Rod Williams, Thomas Starwalker Clair, David Maracle, Greg Morency, Scott Price, Simon Meilleur & Bobby Watt are but a few of the many Canadian greats Jason has enjoyed sharing the stage with. He has also had the rare & esteemed privilege to work with & study under legendary producer/engineer & former V.P. of Island Records Rob Fraboni. (Bob Dylan, The Band, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, Joe Cocker, Bonnie Raitt) Rob's generosity in sharing his vast & expansive degree of knowledge & expertise in the field of sound recording has been an invaluable asset to Jason's development as a producer & recording engineer.

I have been playing guitar for over 30 years & tour regularly with my band River City Junction. We play a mix of Blues, Jazz, Funk, Motown, R&B & Classic Rock so I can help answer any questions related to these genres as well. I also have extensive experience using many different brands of guitars, amplifiers & effects. I do most of my own work on my guitars, & I also build & repair my own pedals & tube amps, so I can help with questions of a technical nature with regards to these subjects as well.

River CIty Junction Tone King Records

Musician's Professional Workshop Scholarship (CHOM FM)
Vanier College (Classical Music - Guitar)
Herzing Institute (Micro-Computer Electronics)
Have taken numerous online courses in recording/engineering