Guitar - General/Intervals

uncle duke wrote at 2013-11-04 18:15:02
You gave the answer to your own question Mike. But before I tell you, you will need to know the major scale pattern of the minor example that you want to learn. This way you'll know which note/notes of the major scale pattern to flatten, add or delete. Your above pattern came from the E major scale. The 3rd note of the major scale is G#. Minor 3rd means lower the 3rd note of the major scale a half step. This means you will play a G instead of G#. For some reason unknown to me, to play the minor scale you also have to lower the 7th note of the major scale also. This means you will play a D instead of D#/e flat. Next, remember to delete the 2nd and 6th notes of the major scale. In this case you won't need the f# or the d flat. After you memorize the minor pattern, you could move on to the harmonic and/or melodic minor scales. This seems to me the direction you'll be heading if you're on an electric guitar. These 2 latter scale patterns sound better to me but sometimes the pattern won't work with the music being played but if the major or minor pentatonic patterns are applied instead, presto, music is made. There are other patterns too but if you learn these you'll be set for most situations. If it falls apart while playing, you should resort to the blues scale of the same key preferably until you find where you're at and then continue as you were. The blues scale pattern is another pattern similar to others mentioned above that should also be learned. When patterns are memorized just don't settle for 8 to 12 notes played on 1 or 2 strings, start up high on the low E or B strings and bring it all down using only notes in the pattern you learned. Next, go back the same way to where you started. good luck.  

Guitar - General

Lynne May

Any question relating to guitar playing: scales, chords, music theory, arpeggios, soloing, chord progressions, key signatures, buying a guitar, guitar tabs, writing guitar music, musical styles including rock, blues and classical. I can no longer answer questions as to the value of a guitar. Please do not flag your question as "Private", as this prevents other readers from benefiting. I will no longer answer "private" questions.

I have played guitar for 30 years. Fifteen years of that time I spent traveling nationwide as a performer. I have owned and operated May Music Studio in Washington state for the last 20 years. I also teach piano and drums. Recently I have started a website which provides absolutely free music lessons:

Publications expert author

Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts