Guitar - General/Intervals

Hey this has been tearing at me for a while now.. can you explain to me which note on a scale the minor third refers to? For example, i'm trying to learn the minor pentatonic scale, which is this:

1 (root), b3 (minor 3rd), 4 (perfect 4th), 5 (perfect 5th) and b7 (minor 7th).

And the e minor pentatonic scale is: E, G, A, B, D, E

which note refers to what?? (eg. which note refers to the minor third?)

Thanks for any help you can give me..

Hi, Michael--

The (minor 3rd) refers to the interval between the root and the b3. In other words, the interval
between E and G is a minor third. Similarly, the interval between G and A is a perfect fourth and so on.

Best Wishes,
Absolutely Free Guitar Lessons

Guitar - General

Lynne May

Any question relating to guitar playing: scales, chords, music theory, arpeggios, soloing, chord progressions, key signatures, buying a guitar, guitar tabs, writing guitar music, musical styles including rock, blues and classical. I can no longer answer questions as to the value of a guitar. Please do not flag your question as "Private", as this prevents other readers from benefiting. I will no longer answer "private" questions.

I have played guitar for 30 years. Fifteen years of that time I spent traveling nationwide as a performer. I have owned and operated May Music Studio in Washington state for the last 20 years. I also teach piano and drums. Recently I have started a website which provides absolutely free music lessons:

Publications expert author

Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts