Guitar - General/Chords

Question
Hi there,
I'm looking at Sporting Life Blues by Eric Clapton and the music includes a Bbes7 chord and a FM/bes chord.
What does "bes" mean please?

Answer
Hi, Peter!  I'm not sure why, but some people write "flat" as "bes" instead of the regular, lower-case, English "b."  I think this just adds to confusion.  The chord you have written as Bbes7 is simply a Bb7; or "B flat seven."  It's only a regular B7 moved down 1/2 step.  I'd suggest doing some self-study on chord formulas and how we "spell" basic chords; this will allow you to know names of chords just by analyzing the intervals.  This link:  http://all-guitar-chords.com/  is a fantastic resource for studying chords, scales, and positions.  Hope this helps!

Guitar - General

J Ross Smith