Guitar - General/Official guitar tab accuracy

Question

I've been playing for a while and do my best to stick with official guitar tabs I want to noodle with something new. Yet,
there always seems to be one or two notes
that just don't feel right. I mean from your experience, just how accurate are offical guitar tabs that are available for purchase?

Answer
Hey Gene, that's a pretty hard question to answer. It depends who did the transcription. If you buy the book online or in a store, (Mel Bay, Hal Leonard etc...) then you're likely going to get a good transcription note wise. However, there's not always tab in those books. (Mine's just a fake sheet with the melody one in notation.) I'd say the best thing to do is use your ear in conjunction with the tab. If you think one note sounds better than another, then use that one. People make mistakes, so do printers & computer software, so it's possible that there are some mistakes. It's also possible that it's dead on perfect & you're just not playing it with the right feel. You'd be really surprised how different something can sound just shifting the accents around from one beat to another. Try this just for fun:

Get out a metronome & set it to around 90 bpm

Count from one to four over & over in your head. Play a barred A Major chord every time you count a new number.

Now, do the same thing, but count: "one and two and three and four" And play the same chord only on the ands.

Then try playing just one chord on the one and on the AND of two .

Example one is just straight ahead & could be used in rock, blues, folk etc.

Example 2 starts feeling like Reggae & example 3 is called a Charleston which is an old big band jazz rhythm.

Accents are EVERYTHING man. They are what gives the music it's life & makes the rhythm have a feel & direction. Anyways, I hope that helps a bit, I thought that I'd share that with you cause when I was learning some of the tunes in one of my Wes montgomery books there were some notes that sounded strange in there as well till I realized they were passing tones & treated them as such. As soon as I took they accents off them, the whole line started to make sense! Good luck bro, just keep at it & you'll get it. Do what I do. Practice till you wanna break shit & then go play video games for a while or something! lol If you need anything else, just drop me a line.

Peace - J.

Guitar - General

Jason Fryer