Guitar - General/Tuning and setup

I am receiving a new guitar this week and would like to save it set up for drop c tuning. My questions are how much does a set up usually cost and how many steps up and down can I tune the guitar after it is set up for a particular tuning without causing problems or losing string tension?

Hey Chad, Drop C is about as low as you can go on a 6 sting in my opinion. I actually find that it's too low & stopped using it many years ago. I found that the tone was lost in those lower registers & it stopped sounding like a guitar, so I'd suggest that you not try to go any lower. I would actually suggest that if you want to drop that low, you should get yourself a baritone guitar. As for setups, I'd say anywhere from 60 - 100 bucks. Maybe more if you get it done by a well known & reputable luthier. When you're tuned that low, even tuning up or down by a half a step will change the setup considerably, so I'd say at best if you're in drop C, you could maybe get away with tuning the low C back up to a D & playing the whole guitar one full step down from concert pitch. I'd actually have it set up for D & then maybe see if you can get a drop D Key installed on it so you can just flip from one to the other. Hope that helps man, if you need anything else, just drop me a line.
Peace - J.

Guitar - General

Jason Fryer

Jason Fryer is a Canadian musician, producer, recording engineer & music instructor. Born in Montreal, Quebec, he attended the Musician's Professional Workshop on scholarship from Montreal radio station CHOM FM, studied Classical Music & Art at Vanier College, & holds a degree from Herzing Institute in Micro Computer Electronics. A veteran of the Canadian Music Scene, Jason has had the honour of playing with some of Canada’s finest musicians. Juno & Maple Blues award winning artists such as Jerome Godboo, Eric Shenkman, Jerry Mercer, Steve Marriner & Matt Sobb, Al Wood, Murray Kinsley, Leigh-Anne Stanton, Rod Williams, Thomas Starwalker Clair, David Maracle, Greg Morency, Scott Price, Simon Meilleur & Bobby Watt are but a few of the many Canadian greats Jason has enjoyed sharing the stage with. He has also had the rare & esteemed privilege to work with & study under legendary producer/engineer & former V.P. of Island Records Rob Fraboni. (Bob Dylan, The Band, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, Joe Cocker, Bonnie Raitt) Rob's generosity in sharing his vast & expansive degree of knowledge & expertise in the field of sound recording has been an invaluable asset to Jason's development as a producer & recording engineer.

I have been playing guitar for over 30 years & tour regularly with my band River City Junction. We play a mix of Blues, Jazz, Funk, Motown, R&B & Classic Rock so I can help answer any questions related to these genres as well. I also have extensive experience using many different brands of guitars, amplifiers & effects. I do most of my own work on my guitars, & I also build & repair my own pedals & tube amps, so I can help with questions of a technical nature with regards to these subjects as well.

River CIty Junction Tone King Records

Musician's Professional Workshop Scholarship (CHOM FM)
Vanier College (Classical Music - Guitar)
Herzing Institute (Micro-Computer Electronics)
Have taken numerous online courses in recording/engineering