Guitar - General/Guitar Guru accuracy

Question
When learning a new tab, is guitar guru trustworthy for learning things right when it come s to mapping out which fingers to use on the frets and also the pick direction?  

The reason I'm asking is because every now and then the tutorial feels a little unnatural when I,instinctively, rather pick in a different direction or fret with a different finger.   

Should I do it my own way when it seems right or not?
I just don't want to pick up bad habits.

Answer
Hey Mike, I don't use it myself & I find most tab on the net to be a joke. If you want to learn to play really well there's a site called Trufire that you should check out. I take the video lessons there myself & they are amazing. 15 bucks a month for all you can watch. Just so you know, I'm in no way affiliated with them except as a student & am suggesting them only because of my own level of satisfaction with the site. They've got lots of different styles, lots of great instructors & the videos are all great. Way better than just tabbing it out. Once you actually learn to play you won't need the tab anymore cause you'll be able to hear what chords are being used & will instinctively find the best fingerings to suit your particular style & approach to playing. (As you already know yourself) So I'd suggest that you use the videos at Truefire to help you learn to play, stop using tab altogether & start learning songs by ear only. If you get stuck on a song for chords or lead work when trying to use your ear, just drop me a line with the name of the song & the band that plays it & I'll help you figure out whatever it is you're getting caught up on. That way you'll develop your ear faster & be a MUCH better player as a result.  I'm sure you'll have  lot more fun learning that way as well! Hope that helps bro, if you need anything else, just drop me a line!
Peace - J.

PS, sorry if my writing is a little jumbled. I gigged all weekend & it's late & I'm just on my way to bed, so I'm not at my best! LOL

Guitar - General

Jason Fryer