Guitar - General/Help choosing a guitar for acoustic blues

Question
I had a Breedlove Atlas, a superb guitar, which I stupidly sold.  I bought a Kremona Romida classica thinking that I would love to learn how to play that genre.  It takes years to even begin to be proficient and I have recently been told that I don't have "years" left and my heart will  quit sooner than later.  I am soon to be 65.....gettting older is NOT what I was told it would be.

I want to return to what I loved, playing along with blues cds and other stuff as well.  I am not great or even good but I like playing a decent or good guitar.  I have looked at Breedlove Atlas plus dreadnoughts, Ovation Balladeers, Godin 5th avenues, Breedlove C250 COE's, Fender f hole resonators and others.  

Rather than jump blindly into this once again,  I would really like to know what will work well.  I finger pick, pick and want to learn how to use a slide a little.  I want to keep my purchase under $500 used.  I have been looking on ebay buy the way.

Your thoughts and expertise would be very much appreciated.

Answer
Hey Dana, before I answer your guitar question, I'd like to advise you not to invest too much faith in what the doctors tell you. When I was young I fell through a window & shredded my left hand. Sliced through the tendons & everything. Doc's said I'd never be able to use that hand again for anything useful. Here I am over 30 years later playing guitar with it. They told my Grandfather who was in his 40's at the time that he had less than a year to live as he had contracted asbestosis & emphysema from being in construction. He lived well over 25 years before it caught up with him. My grandmother was also told that she was a goner when she had her first heart attack around your age. She was told the same thing again after her 2nd heart attack a few years ago & also caught C-Dificile in the hospital. She's turning 90 this month. While this is not the place to discuss such things, if you'd like to contact me directly, I may be able to help you with your diet & supplements to get your health back. I am not a medical practitioner, but I do study a LOT & have been able to help others including my wife & myself in the past. If you'd like to discuss more, please contact me directly from either of my websites & we'll continue this discussion in private.

Now as for guitars, if you want to play the Blues, a cheap parlour guitar would probably be what you're looking for. Especially if you want that old Robert Johnson Blues sound. If you want to splurge a little, a Godin 5th Avenue Composer GT is a beautiful & versatile guitar. Maybe you should splurge & treat yourself a little? I'll check around on ebay for you & get back to you with some other good deals. Hope that helps, if you need anything else, just drop me a line.
Peace - J.

Guitar - General

Jason Fryer