Guitar - General/Guitar Slash Chords

Hi Leeroy,

Regarding slash chords, I'm just trying to understand them. Is it true that the notes within the chord are the same but the extra note played is lower or the root. For example:

D/F# chord = A,D,F# as normal D chord plus the added F# on the low e-string. Now F# is already part of the D Chord, but it's added as the lower question is, is that generic across all slash chords. Does the base note have to be a part of the actual main chord. Or can it be different. Can you put any base note added to a normal chord and it would work...hope this makes sense. I'm just trying to understand the theory behind slash chords...thanks Rob

This guy on youtube explains it much better than I could.

Adding any bass note to any chord would not work, some bass notes would just be wrong to the chord you are playing, the bass note would have to sound ok with the chord, to work.

I hope this explains it well enough.

Guitar - General

I can answer questions on the USA made Fender Bullet 1981 to 1983. Also questions on vintage Fender Mustangs from 1964 onwards. If I do not know the answers, I will try my best to find out for you.

30 plus years as a semi pro guitar player in covers bands in the UK. I own a lot of USA Fender Bullets & several vintage Fender Mustangs. All my guitars are set up by myself & I have also completed some restoration work on some of the guitars.

Self taught from the age of 15 & play by ear. Educated by playing quite a few different styles of music with loads of musicians over the years.