Guitar - General/Dating a Dobro Duolian

Hi Lynne

I would very much appreciate your help in what appears to be a bit of a minefield.

I'm trying to date a Dobro Duolian plated metal-bodied resonator. The serial number is E752694B. I understand that the B stands for "metal", not necessarily brass.

Thanks in advance,
With best wishes

Hi, Peter--

I will try to give you some helpful information, though I was unable to date the guitar by serial number.

The Duolian was actually manufactured by the National Guitar Company after they merged with the Dobro company. The Duolian was manufactured from 1931-1940.

Before 1933, they guitar had flat cut  f-holes. After 1933 these flat cut holes were replaced by rolled in f-holes.

You might get a clue from the number of frets. Before 1935 the Duolian had a 12/19-fret dyed maple fingerboard. In1953, the Duolian had a 14/20-fret fingerboard with a basswood neck.

Duolians manufactured before 1938 had a crystalline paint finish.

Sorry I could not be more specific. Hope this is of some help to you.

May Music Studio

Guitar - General

Lynne May

Any question relating to guitar playing: scales, chords, music theory, arpeggios, soloing, chord progressions, key signatures, buying a guitar, guitar tabs, writing guitar music, musical styles including rock, blues and classical. I can no longer answer questions as to the value of a guitar. Please do not flag your question as "Private", as this prevents other readers from benefiting. I will no longer answer "private" questions.

I have played guitar for 30 years. Fifteen years of that time I spent traveling nationwide as a performer. I have owned and operated May Music Studio in Washington state for the last 20 years. I also teach piano and drums. Recently I have started a website which provides absolutely free music lessons:

Publications expert author

Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts