Guitar - General/50K pots on bullet strat

Question
Hi Dave,

I have a SSS bullet strat and I broke the shafts of the volume pot and a tone pot (the one at the bottom). I have a couple of 50K pots lying around and would like to try them on. How do you think this will affect the sound? I understand strats use 250K to muddy up the single coil sound.

Answer
50K pots are likely to sound way to treble-y.  To be honest, you can pick up good replacement 250K pots for not a lot of money - it's worth spending the price of a couple of beers to get something that keeps your guitar sounding good, rather than compromising the sound for the sake of using something that you happen to have lying around.
Personally, I'd recommend these... http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/cts-250k-solid-split-pot-audio-taper-or-linear
Cheers,
Dave

Guitar - General

Dave Dixon