Guitar - General/50K pots on bullet strat

Hi Dave,

I have a SSS bullet strat and I broke the shafts of the volume pot and a tone pot (the one at the bottom). I have a couple of 50K pots lying around and would like to try them on. How do you think this will affect the sound? I understand strats use 250K to muddy up the single coil sound.

50K pots are likely to sound way to treble-y.  To be honest, you can pick up good replacement 250K pots for not a lot of money - it's worth spending the price of a couple of beers to get something that keeps your guitar sounding good, rather than compromising the sound for the sake of using something that you happen to have lying around.
Personally, I'd recommend these...

Guitar - General

Dave Dixon

Guitar player since 1987. Studied at Musicians` Institute. Worked as guitar/music teacher since 1991.

Since joining AllExperts I have been getting rated with 9's and 10's from most of the people I've answered questions from, so I guess that I must be doing something right. Not all that many people can be wrong. Questions about theory, technique, equipment, players, history, etc. welcome - just about anything in fact. The only things I prefer not to answer are requests for transcriptions, or equipment assessments/valuations.

Studied at Musicians` Institute.