Guitar - General/Not sure where to go

Question
Hello, i have been playing guitar for around 3 1/2 to 4 years, and i can be quite certain that i am an average guitar player. I have decent skills when i play guitar, but i don't know where to go from here. If i want to, i'll be able to learn the majority of songs, but i want to take my learning to the next level. i want to be able to create and play my own songs, if you can help me that would be much appreciated.

Answer
Hi Isaac!

I don't know if you're mainly self taught or not, but a personal guitar teacher can help you increase your knowledge. There are a couple of ways that you can go about learning to do your own music:

First you can get a guitar teacher. This may be the more expensive way, but I feel that you will be held accountable to learn more and you can learn at your own pace. Also exactly what you can learn will vary, and you may have more freedom to ask the instructor to teach you other things (sweep picking, etc).

Another option is taking a course at a community college. I'm not sure how old you are, but the college classes are actually very helpful in helping you learn more about guitar. This is a more structured class, with less options to learn about what you want. You will also have homework, but the teacher may not be as strict as a personal teacher.

Either way, I think these are both good ways to start. Good luck!

Andrew

Guitar - General

Frank A Dornay Jr