Guitar - General/Fender Telecaster

Question
date codes
date codes  

neck
neck  
Hello.  I wonder if you can answer a date code question on my Fender Telecaster.  I believe it is a 1982.  on the inside of the back of the neck there is a paper label with a bunch of initials and a stamped 4  1  820 .  Then on the wood there is a faint stamp 033082 .  Is this a 1982 Tele?  I have attached pics.  Oh, the SN is not legible up on the front of the neck.

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Kenneth,
Without seeing the guitar in the flesh, I can only make assumptions, you don't mention any other info.

I am always skeptical concerning any guitar when a serial has been worn away, I would have to make the judgement as to whether I thought it had been worn away purposely or just by wear - always very difficult !

Necks & bodies can be swapped on Fenders, so without knowing any history, I can't make a firm judgement. I am not suggesting your guitar is a fake or a parts guitar, but there are lots of questions that would have to be asked concerning provenance ie; if you were the first owner & where you bought it, or if you know any other history etc etc etc.

Another concern would be that most Fenders from that era have a neck date stamp on the end of the heel, you do not mention that, so I assume that it is not there.

At face value the guitar could be anything from 77 to 82, that type of decal was used during that period, the S is still visible being the prefix to the serial number & could be S7 or S8 & they date to 1977 to 1978 or S9 which dates 78 to 82.

Dating a Fender guitar from the decal alone is never a good idea as the decals cross lots of years, the pickups may have dates & the pots if they are original will definitely have dates, so if you can date the pots etc & you know they are original, you can get a better idea of the year.

The stamps on your guitar seem to point to 1982, I have several 80's Fenders, one of them has 82 pot dates & 82 stamps in the neck cavity, but has an 83 neck date, I know its history & therefore able to confirm that the neck was the last thing to be assembled & that its an 83.

Please bear in mind that the pots were purchased in bulk & earlier date pots can be seen on later guitars, 1966 was a good example, 66 pots can be found on Fender guitars to the early 70's, because Fender bought a ship load of pots in 66.

You can google dating Fender pots & should find lots of info.

I hope this helps ? If you can supply more info I can help a bit more, let me know if you do want more help.

Leeroy.

Guitar - General

Leeroy