Guitar - General/Crate amp problem

Question
Jason,
I have a Crate GT65 guitar amp that is behaving strangely.  The overdrive level pot was malfunctioning so I replaced it with a new one.  Switched her on and all was good.  The next time I turned the amp on the green LED for the clean channel lit but hitting the pushbutton to switch to the overdrive channel did nothing.  The orange LED for the oD channel flickered on then reverted to the green.  I unplugged, re-plugged into a different outlet leaving the OD button engaged and all was OK again.  Turned everything off, came back a few hours later and was back to non-working OD channel status.  Unplugged the unit again, pushed OD switch in, re-plugged...working again.  I then moved amp back to its original location and outlet, plugged in, switched on and once again, all OK.  This morning, switched on and back to original problem...no switch to OD when button pushed.  Moved amp again, re-plugged, worked OK.  Now after the time it took to write this post, it's gone back to non-working status.  I was very careful when I removed and replaced the bad pot and, when the amp is working the pot works as it should.  I can't figure out why the unit works, then doesn't, then does, then doesn't.  Any ideas on what the problem may be and how to repair?  Many thanks!

Answer
Hi Fred, I don't know a whole lot about your amp, but I'm going to assume that the channel switching is handled by relays? I'd look there to see if there's something funny going on. If you unplug the amp, you could be resetting the relays & that could by why the problem is intermittent. Hope that helps man, let me know how it goes & if you need anything else, just drop me a line!
Peace - J.

Guitar - General

Jason Fryer