Guitar - General/Getting back to music

Question

I have been playing guitar since 2002 and have been inclined towards composition for the most part. Over the last few years, I have had less time to play and recently I am completely useless when it comes to playing or composing.

It has always meant a lot to me to be able to compose and enjoy my own music, but I have been soo out of touch that whatever I try now, I can't seem to get back my sense of music.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can re-develop my skills, get over this rut I am stuck in now, and get back to playing and composing again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mayank

Answer

Thanks for your question.

The creative proccess isn't something that can really be taught, but I can share a couple of ideas that I use when I want to explore creatively.

The first is to take a starting point, say a familiar chord, and then look at how you might change that by just one note to get tom something else.  And then move from there to something else by making just a subtle change, and so on.

Another idea is to start with something and to try moving it in a fairly mathematical fashion, say progressively moving up or down through a key.  You can augment this by having a common motif which you use throughout.

To illustrate, here are a couple of videos that I did a while ago for my YouTube channel which cover this sort of thing...
http://youtu.be/UB-VtwM0ogs
http://youtu.be/-cjaKLVdaNg

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Dave

Guitar - General

Dave Dixon